In the past if you wanted to connect with someone on LinkedIn, you had to describe how you knew them in your connection request. Selecting a group you share used to be the main way to meet new people. The ability to connect through a shared group has now disappeared, but we have a work-around for LinkedIn connections ability.
LinkedIn business coach Brynne Tillman kindly and cleverly shared an excellent article showing you a backdoor trick for getting past it:
- Visit the profile of the person you are looking to connect with
- Click the star (relationship) button to save them as a connection
- Copy their name
- Click on Connections on the top bar
- Paste their name in the search bar in the middle of the page
- Hover below their location and click connect
- Type your note and send
No need to answer “How do you know…”.
BONUS: As of September 25, the LinkedIn App offers the option to send a personalized note. When on your prospective connections profile, click on the box with the arrow on the top right corner. You will be given the option to write a personal note…it is about time!
More work-arounds needed? Contact us at 619.962.5504 for more tips and tricks related to the many recent LinkedIn updates!